Code of Conduct
The Muses Code JS community is full of wonderful people from a diverse range of backgrounds, and we want to ensure it remains a welcoming and safe environment to all who wish to be a part of it.
Whenever we come together as a community, our shared spaces are opportunities to showcase the best of what we can be. We are there to support our peers - to build each other up, to accept each other for who they are, and to encourage each other to become the people they want to be.
With that in mind, if you are present at any Muses Code JS event, whether as an attendee, organiser, mentor, sponsor, or speaker, we take it as given that you agree to follow this code of conduct.
2. Expected Behaviour
The following behaviours are expected and requested of all community members:
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behaviour and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Remember that community event venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
3. Unacceptable Behaviour
The following behaviours are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information ("doxing").
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Inappropriate physical contact. You should have someone’s consent before touching them.
- Unwelcome sexual attention. This includes, sexual comments or jokes; inappropriate touching, groping, and unwelcomed sexual advances.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
4. Consequences of Unacceptable Behaviour
Unacceptable behaviour from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behaviour is expected to comply immediately.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behaviour, the community organisers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning (and without refund in the case of a paid event).
5. Reporting Guidelines
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behaviour, or have any other concerns, please notify a community organiser as soon as possible: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additionally, community organisers are available to help community members engage with local law enforcement or to otherwise help those experiencing unacceptable behaviour feel safe. In the context of in-person events, organisers will also provide escorts as desired by the person experiencing distress.
6. Addressing Grievances
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify Muses Code JS team with a concise description of your grievance. Your grievance will be considered and you will be notified of our response and any decision.
We expect all community participants (contributors, paid or otherwise; sponsors; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all community venues–online and in-person–as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to community business.
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behaviour occurring outside the scope of community activities when such behaviour has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members.
8. Contact Info
9. License and attribution
This Code of Conduct is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.
Portions of text derived from the SydJS Code of Conduct, ReactConf AU Code of conduct, Django Code of Conduct and the Geek Feminism Anti-Harassment Policy .
Retrieved on August 20, 2019 from http://citizencodeofconduct.org/